Am I a control freak? What better way to check than an internet quiz!
You Are 32% Control Freak
You have achieved the perfect balance of control and letting go.
You tend to roll with whatever life brings, but you never get complacent.
You can check whether you are a control freak? too.
Via que sera sera, about whom the control freak in me wants to know if she is who I think she is.
Congratulations on your Haj to all Hajis. Eid Mubarak, everyone.
Today is the main day, the day of Arafa’, of Haj, the Islamic pilgrimage to Makkah. Congratulations to all Hajis including my mother-in-law.
The day after is Eid-ul-Azha in Saudi Arabia. Here, we are celebrating Eid on December 31 while it is on New Year’s Day in Pakistan. Eid Mubarak, everyone.
UPDATE: As usual, we have sent our donation to the Edhi Foundation for the qurbani (slaughter of goat) in Pakistan.
Looking at the Atlanta mosque websites, it seems like a majority of them are going to follow Saudi Arabia and celebrate Eid on the 30th. However, we like combining New Year’s Eve celebrations with Eid.
Merry Christmas, everyone.
This year we are celebrating Christmas in Las Vegas, which seems like a better option than being alone in Pretoria on Christmas a decade ago. We are going to Red Rock Canyon today.
There is a tag going around asking about anything weird about yourself. Here are my weirdness list.
Wayfarer tagged me with this meme where I have to list six weird things about myself. Now the problem is weird according to whom. Let’s see if you find the following weird.
- I am sorta afraid of heights. I can’t climb on trees and the couple of times I have done indoor rock climbing I was frightened. I also don’t dive or jump into swimming pools from diving boards or platforms. Actually I don’t even jump into a pool from ground level. I either sit on the edge and slip into the pool or take the stairs. On the other hand, I had a lot of fun doing this:
- I did not shave until I was starting college. So I had a beard in high school. Later, I tried all combinations: beard and moustache, beard without moustache, moustache without beard, and clean shaved. Nowadays, I am clean shaven. But I still do not shave more than 2 or 3 times a week while my facial hair demands shaving twice a day for a clean look.
- My only car accident involving another moving object was when a running pedestrian hit my side-view mirror. Otherwise my accidents involve lamp posts, pillars and other immovable objects. The first time I took my dad’s car for a drive alone, I hit the gate pillar of our house on my return.
- For someone who loves sports cars and driving, I do not drive fast. I also don’t like weaving in and out of traffic, usually preferring to remain in my lane even if it seems slower than the others. And I turn blind when driving while it is raining at night.
- I enjoyed watching my ophthalmologist poking needles and performing surgery on my left eye when I was 13. I had only local anesthesia.
- I am left-handed and left-footed. I kick soccer balls with my left foot and play tennis and write with my left hand. However, I play cricket right-handed. I bat, bowl and field right-handed.
Unlike Wayfarer or Koonj, I’ll stop at six items.
So who to tag to carry on this meme? Let’s try to spread this meme in the Pakistani and Urdu blogosphere. So I tag: Teeth Maestro, Noumaan, Nabeel, Shakir, Asma, Badtameez.
We watched The Fountain in the theater on our anniversary. It is a good movie about eternal life, love and death. I rate it 8/10.
On our anniversary, we went to the theater and watched The Fountain. It is not often we get a chance to watch a movie in the theater, so that was fun.
Was it an appropriate movie for celebrating our anniversary? Yes and no. The Fountain is about love, death, and eternal life. It has three parallel stories situated 500 years apart. The plot is about trying to escape death and find eternal life and then finally embracing death as being a sort of eternal life.
I liked it very much, though Amber was a bit depressed and didn’t think it an appropriate choice for the occasion. I rate it 8/10.
یہ سال درجنوں کا سال ہے۔ ابھی پچھلے ہفتے ہم نے شادی کے 12 سال منائے تھے اور آج میری سالگرہ ہے۔ میری عمر اب تین درجن سال ہے۔ آج ہمارا سالگرہ گھر میں کیک کاٹ کر اور مومبتی بجھا کر منانے کا ہے کیونکہ مشیل ایک مہینے سے کیک اور مومبتی کے انتظار میں ہے۔
Last week we celebrated a dozen years of marriage and today is my 36th birthday.
This year we are going to celebrate at home with a cake. Michelle has been excited about my birthdya for some time now. She wants a cake and even more than that, she wants to “blow a wish” i.e. a candle. This year, Michelle has been very much into birthdays. She likes the ones of other kids at her preschool as well as the ones of our friends’ kids. She was really happy about her own and has been mentioning her grandparents’, Amber’s and now mine for some time.
Here is the recipe for Coeur à la Crème. It is easy to make and turns out great.
For Thanksgiving, I made dessert. Here is one recipe. I got it from Simple French Desserts. I have made some minor changes in the recipe.
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2 egg whites
- 1 cup plain organic yogurt
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Fresh raspberries for garnish
- Raspberry Coulis (recipe)
- Stir the cream and 1/3 cup of the sugar together in a large bowl. Beat (I use an electric mixer) the sweetened cream until soft peaks form. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, using an electric mixer, beat the egg whites to soft peaks. Continue beating, adding the remaining 1/3 cup sugar 1 tablespoon at a time, until the whites form stiff, glossy peaks. Fold the cream mixture and beaten egg whites into the yogurt. Fold in the vanilla.
- Line a large sieve with a double thickness of damp cheesecloth, allowing the excess to hang over the edge.
- Fill a bowl with the cream mixture. Set the sieve over the bowl to drain. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 24 hours.
- Unwrap and invert the bowl onto a serving plate. Remove the cheesecloth. Surround the coeur à la crème with Raspberry Coulis and a few fresh raspberries.
That’s it. It is easy to make and tastes great. You can ask Wayfarer if you don’t believe me.