My name is Zakaria Ajmal. “Zakaria” is a biblical name and hence has different spellings and pronunciations in different languages. I don’t mind the different spellings that much, but to make it easy, I am usually known as Zack.
I am 47 years old and am originally from Pakistan where I was born and raised. I was living in Islamabad, the capital city, before coming to the US.
I originally came to the US 20 years ago for graduate school in Electrical and Computer Engineering (research interests: computer vision and graphics/animation, video and image analysis, telepresence, etc.) at Georgia Tech in Atlanta, GA.
Other than work, I like to camp and hike, travel and take photographs with my digital camera. I am also very much interested in science fiction, history, politics and international affairs.
I got married to Ambrin (nickname: Amber) in 1994. We have had a lot of fun together and plan to live together happily ever after.
In 2004, a cute Michelle was born to Amber and me. Nowadays, she is the center of our universe. She has a weblog of her own on which we post her photographs, video clips and milestones etc.
Places I have lived in
- Wah Cantt., Pakistan (Dec 1970 – Jun 1976)
- Rawalpindi, Pakistan (Jun 1976 – Nov 1976)
- Tripoli, Libya (Nov 1976 – Jan 1983)
- Rawalpindi, Pakistan (Sep 1982 – Oct 1984)
- Wah Cantt., Pakistan (Oct 1984 – Nov 1994)
- Islamabad, Pakistan (Aug 1994 – Sep 1997)
- Atlanta, Georgia, USA (Sep 1997 – Mar 2007)
- Piscataway, New Jersey, USA (June 1999 – Oct 2004)
- Plantation, Florida, USA (May 2000 – Aug 2000)
- Fremont, California, USA (May 2001 – Aug 2001)
- Milton, Georgia, USA (Mar 2007 – Present)
Countries I have visited/lived in
- Pakistan (Dec 1970 – Nov 1976, Sep 1982 – Sep 1997, Dec 2002, Dec 2005, Oct 2008, Oct 2010, Jun-Jul 2011, Nov 2015)
- Libya (Nov 1976 – Jan 1983)
- United Kingdom (May 1978)
- Germany (Jun 1978, Jun 2015)
- Belgium (Jun 1978)
- Netherlands (Jun 1978)
- Saudi Arabia (Jun 1978, Jan 1983)
- Turkey (1981, Jun 2014)
- Malaysia (Apr 1994)
- South Africa (Dec 1996)
- United States (Sep 1997 – Present)
- Canada (Nov 1999, Mar 2005, Jun 2012, Jul 2017)
- France (Jul–Aug 2002)
- Switzerland (Jan 2006, June-July 2015)
- Bahamas (Mar 2009)
- Italy (Jul 2009)
- Vatican City (Jul 2009)
- United Arab Emirates (Jun 2011, Nov 2015)
- Austria (Jun 2015)
- Peru (Jun 2016)
- New Zealand (Dec 2017-Jan 2018)
Please read the disclaimer.