On June 30, there was the GA-400 bike ride. Last year, I had done the 9-mile ride, but decided to go 45 miles this time.
Here’s the route along with my info:
Some observations about the ride:
- Some cyclists use earphones in both ears during the ride which I believe is not allowed in Georgia.
- Most riders call out before passing you, but a few pass too close without any verbal warning.
- I know it is a hassle to stop at every stop sign and traffic light when you are wearing cycling shoes attached to clipless pedals, but all must stop even if there’s no traffic. This is one issue which gives cyclists a bad repute.
- Most car drivers do not know that they have to pass cyclists at least 3 feet away. But I was surprised when several vehicles passed close to us who had bicycle racks on them.
- While most drivers are considerate and careful, a few would really like to hit the cyclists off the road.
Here are some photos:
On April 20, the weather was cool (39F/4C) and we all headed out to take part in the Run the River race nest to the Chattahoochee river in Roswell, GA.
Michelle and Amber ran in the 5K which started at 7:30. Michelle finished the race in 39:29 which was a new record for her, beating her Jingle Jog time by 11 seconds. Amber’s time was 42:32.
Then it was time for the 10K. It was a fairly flat course with just a bit of a hill at the midway mark where we turned around.
Here’s the map and data for my run:
I paced myself much better this time than for the Silver Comet 10K. My mile splits were 9:42, 10:09, 10:27, 10:56 (the hill), 10:40, 10:34 and 9:29 (per mile for the last 0.22 mile). In fact, I should have gone a bit faster since I felt pretty good at the end.
I finished in 1:05:13. I placed 415/537 overall, 230/248 among men and 37/37 among men aged 40-44. Yes, I placed absolute last in my division!
I asked a while ago how to keep track of my race times. I have figured out now that Athlinks is the best way to do so.
Last week, I went bike riding on the Big Creek Greenway. I rode about 20 easy, flat miles.
I tried out my new Garmin Oregon 450 which I mounted on my bicycle using the Garmin bike mount.
Here is the Big Creek Greenway Bike Ride Garmin Adventure. Unfortunately, I don’t know if it’s possible to embed that map here.